There are a plethora of reasons to know how BIOS works and how to enter it on your laptop, you can set things up and diagnose some of your laptop problems through the BIOS/CMOS setting, in this topic I show you various ways to enter the BIOS/ CMOS setting on your laptop.
How Do I Enter BIOS /CMOS Setting On My Laptop?
So, you want to make sure you press one of the keys here or the combination continuously as you start up your laptop,
- to enter the BIOS setting on your laptop, that is immediately after pressing the POWER button, then, it should enter the BIOS setting and you will see a set of text screens with various settings options, these vary according to the manufacturer.
Though your laptop display will normally show you the text button to press in order to enter the BIOS setting the base on the model you are using, nevertheless, most laptops use those.
How Do You Exit the BIOS/CMOS Setting?
To Exist BIOS is pretty much easy, your display will even show you the necessary key to Save and Exit the BIOS, on a Toshiba laptop, for instance, F9 Save or Not options, while the ENTER key will save and Exit.
Exit, Save, Changes, Discard, and Restore Default Settings are also included in the BIOS setting, so you can use the moving key on your laptop to move within the settings.
When you are finished with your changes, you should choose Save Changes and Exit. The BIOS will then restart your computer so that the new settings will take over immediately.
Can I Enter BIOS without Keyboard
Not, it’s not possible, as you can see, it’s obvious here, you cannot enter your BIOS setting menu without having a keyboard on your laptop, so you need the keyboard internal or external, USB keyboard Or, you can even use a gaming keyboard.
How do I enter the BIOS settings on a laptop with a faulty keyboard?
Replacing the keyboard would be the best idea or try to repair your keyboard if you can
Another way is to create an error during bootup, how do you do how do you create an error during bootup.
How to create an error during bootup
- Here is how you do it, you can create a bootup error by clearing the ( CMOS) that is non-volatile or set up memory in your laptop.
- You can do that by removing the small battery (small lithium or Ni-Cad battery inside your laptop)
- Remove for about a minute, or move the header on the motherboard or a similar position for a few seconds and then move it back to ( Clear CMOS) or if your laptop motherboards have a button that will reset the CMOS then you can do that pressing the button.
Why Would You Enter BIOS/CMOS Setting On Your Laptop
As I said earlier there are many different reasons that will make you want to enter the BIOS setting which includes:
- The first reason is for security reasons so that you be able to set up a decent password for your laptop, other important reasons include drivers configuration, through the BIOS setting, you can configure hard drives, CD-ROM, and floppy drives in there.
- Set up the system, time, and date respectively, to set up boost sequence so that the laptop BIOS upload the setted operating system.
- To set the memory, so that you can direct the BIOS to shadow to a specific memory address.
- Mouse or Keyboard settings when your laptop keyboard or mouse are not working, and you want to enable them or Auto Detect Mouse settings.
- Num Lock enabling can also be done.
- Power Management setting, you can set to use power as well as set the amount of time for standby and suspend time.
Should I change BIOS or Upgrade it.
I think it will be better to upgrade it since the BIOS is stored in form of ROM, changing, is pretty harder than upgrading, and even if you want to change the BIOS you will need a special program from the computer or your laptop BIOS manufacturer. So upgrading the BIOS to the new latest standards available wares is better and this should be done occasionally.
How Do I Change BIOS On My Laptop?
First off, anytime you want to change BIOS on your laptop follow these helpful tips here,
- Check with your computer manufacturer first to be sure you need to upgrade.
- Get in touch with the BIOS manufacturer’s Web site to see if an upgrade is available.
- Check up to see the BIOS revision and date information displayed on system startup or check with your computer manufacturer to find out what type of BIOS you have.
- Make sure you are upgrading to a version that is compatible with your computer system.
- After you’ve ascertained all these, you can then go ahead and download the upgrade and the utility program needed to install it.
- Copy the program, along with the BIOS update, onto a floppy disk, the utility and update are combined in a single file to download.
- Take very good care when upgrading your BIOS so that you do not corrupt the BIOS,
- incorrect settings may keep your laptop from booting which means you won’t be able to boot your laptop ever again.
- Restart your computer with the floppy disk containing the drive, and the program inside and Erase the old BIOS and Write the new one.
- Then the BIOS Wizard will check your BIOS at BIOS Upgrades and boom, there you are, ready to go enjoy.
How to Enter BIOS On Toshiba laptop
As said earlier, different laptops with different keys, your laptop Display will show you the key to press and incase of Toshibas laptop after pressing the Power button, then press one of these keys here, repeatedly press:
- After pressing the power button.
How do I enter BIOS on my Windows Sony Vio Laptop
To enter the BIOS setting on your Sony Vio laptop
Press and Hold the ASSIST button and then the Power button to enter BIOS on your sony laptop
The second method will be:
Press and hold the F2 key before pressing the Power button
Then my 3rd one includes:
Press and hold the F3 key before pressing the Power button.
How Do I Enter BIOS on my HP laptop
To enter BIOS settings on your HP laptop follow these easy tips?
Press the Power to turn the laptop
Press the F10 key continuously immediately at the blink of the display
Other keys to Enter BIOS On HP laptop
other keys you can use to enter BIOS on an HP laptop include
These will let you enter the BIOS settings menu.
How do I enter BIOS on a Dell laptop?
- To enter BIOS on your Dell laptop Press the Power button to turn on your laptop
- and press the F12 key repeatedly immorality to enter the BIOS setting.