On this topic, I’m going to walk you through different reasons why your laptop mousepad is not working or malfunctioning and tips to fix them, these are great and helpful fixation tips you can try out yourself to see if you be able to solve your laptop problem before taking it to the nearest capable technician. So, keep reading if you want to know-how, and if you have any questions concerning this topic please leave them in the comment section below.
Why Is My Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working?
Your laptop mouse pad not working might be the system is freezing, some recent external device used on your laptop, or the drivers need to be updated, are your mouse pad disabled in the setting? is your windows version pirated? , do you regularly scan your laptop with antivirus? these most common reasons why, but never worry there are solutions to these problems, here is how to fix your laptop mouse pad issue by yourself, follow this easy guide here anytime.
How to fix mouse pad not working on laptop
With these tips I am showing you here, you need to connect a USB external mouse. If you cannot get an external mouse to function, so you can borrow one from your friends or from your neighbor.
Solution 1.1) Check and Enable touchpad in touchpad settings.
This is most obvious and the first thing you want to see, sometimes it might be mouse pad disabled on your laptop, you want to enable this and see if the trackpad work. You will have to connect an external mouse to your laptop so you be able to perform this method here.
Go to mouse or touchpad settings on your laptop, here is how to access the mouse settings on your laptop, follow this step any as a windows user.
Touchpad Settings on Windows
Use this method to get your mouse pad to work again :
- Press Windows key+I the Setting will pop up
- Click Devices, then Touchpad.
- In the Touchpad window, make sure the Touchpad is Enable or turn On
- Go Start menu or better still -press the Windows button
- Then, type in TOUCHPAD in the search down the left corner.
- Select the Touchpad setting option in the search results and make sure its set to Enable or On
- Check the touchpad to see if it working ok.
The video here shows you how to fix your laptop mousepad pad enjoy<<
Here is 3rd method for windows users to properly set up their Mousepad.
- Got to start down the button corner or Press the Windows key,
- Type in Control Panel into the search bar, and press the Enter key.
Click the Hardware and Sound option.
- Under Devices and Printers, click the Mouse option.
- However, if the control panel view by option is set to Small icons, click the Mouse option, in the Mouse Properties window that opens, locate your touchpad settings, at the right tab next to Hardware.
- Mind you, the tab’s name varies from manufacturer to manufacturer though
- Make sure that there is a check in the box next to Enable touchpad and click Apply, then OK. Test the touchpad and see if that solves the problem.
Mousepad setting on Macs
- For Apple macOS users here is how you do it
- Go to the System Preferences in the Apple menu at the top of the desktop screen.
- For MacBook Pro, click the System Preferences icon at the bottom of the desktop screen.
- In the System Preferences window, click the Trackpad icon to open the Trackpad settings.
- Adjust the trackpad settings you prefer to change.
- Then Check your MacBook trackpad to see if that solves the problem.
Solution 2.2 ) Solve the laptop System is frozen
One of the obvious reasons your laptop mousepad stop working might be the fact that the operating system is frozen. So, what you want to do is check whether your laptop operating system is not responding as well, if yes, then it means that the laptop is frozen and if that happens your laptop might not respond to any commands at all not even the mouse pad.
What Should You do In a situation like this?…..
1st thing to do
- The first thing to do is to try to turn your laptop off immediately, so, press the power button and hold for some second until your laptop is turned off.
- Then wait for a minute and turn it on again and see if that solves the problem.
2nd thing to do
- The second thing is to press the Windows key to see if the Start Menu opens, if yes, then, try the Fn key combination.
- If your laptop has this feature, press the button or keys to turn the touchpad on and off a few times.
- The Fn key + function key combination can be used to enable and disable the touchpad or when frozen up.
Solution 3.3) Remove all External devices From your laptop
The recent and current external device used on your laptop can disable the touchpad when connected automatically without any notification, and this can happen over and over again. what should you do?
- To solve this problem, what you want to do is turn off the laptop completely and, disconnect all external devices.
- This will make sure that none of them turned off the touchpad when you turn on your laptop again.
- Then, Turn on your laptop and see if that solves the mouse pad problem.
Solution 4.4 Update Your Laptop Drivers Or Download It.
Sometimes laptop mousepad not working might be drivers needing an update, so you may want to try to update the drivers or download the latest driver of your laptop model right from the manufacture’s website.
To do that, go to the start menu and type in device manager
- Click the Mice and other pointing
- Then right-click on Synaptic ps/2 port touchpad and click Update driver.
- or you can uninstall the driver and restart your laptop.
- Anyhow, you do it both options allow Windows to look for an updated driver on the laptop and the Internet automatically.
Solution 5.5 Reset touchpad settings
Sometimes if the touchpad is already turned On or enabled on your laptop, resetting touchpad settings may fix the touchpad’s issues here is how you do it on a windows laptop
How to do a touchpad reset on a window laptop
- Press Windows key+I to open Settings,
- Then click Devices
- And click Touchpad.
- Better still, you can go to the search bar menu down the bottom or press the Windows button on your laptop.
- Type in touchpad, and select the Touchpad settings option in the search results.
- Scroll down to the Reset your touchpad section and click the Reset button, in the Touchpad window.
- Now check your laptop mousepad if get back working normally.
Solution 6.6) Check and make sure you are not using a pirated version of windows.
A pirated version of windows might cause your laptop mousepad to stop working, it can also cause your laptop to freeze or slow down the speed, try to get a genuine version of the operating system for your laptop to secure total functionality.
Solution 7.7) Scan Your laptop With Effective antivirus For Malware
This needs to be carried out regularly to avoid corrupt operating systems and files, malware and virus can cause critical damage not only to your mousepad but can also make your entire laptop not work.
This can be a very huge possible cause for a malfunctioning on your system, corrupt operating system, files, could result in touchpad not working. It’s advised to scan your laptop regularly to ensure perfect working order.
Solution 8.8 ) Get in touch with the nearest laptop technician to tech it for you.
After you try all the tips shared here and your laptop touchpad won’t function properly,
it may be hardware defective, the advice is to contact the nearest technician to repair it for you or if your laptop is still on warranty, then you may want to get in touch with the manufacturer’s technical support service to take a look at the laptop for repair.
Conclusion: Why Is My Laptop Mouse Pad Not Working?
As you can see there are varieties of reasons why your laptop mousepad is not working or functioning properly, and no matter what the problems are, use the helpful tips shared here to fix your laptop before taking it to the nearest laptop technician.
Hope this post helps you solve your laptop problems and if you have any question comment or anything concerning this topic please feel free to leave them in the comment section below. If this post helps you please share it with others thanks.